- Teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Teaspoon bouillon powder
- Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 400g vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 400g aubergine, chopped
- 400ml reduced fat coconut milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 200g spinach
- 15g coriander, chopped
- Juice of a lime
- Red chilli, chopped
- Add the coconut oil to a large saucepan to melt before adding in the onion, garlic, bouillon powder and spices. Cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat before adding in 50ml water and continuing to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with another 100ml water and the tamari and cook for another 2 minutes before adding in the aubergine for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bay leaves and bring to a boil before reducing the heat and leaving to simmer gently for about 25 minutes, by which time the sauce should have thickened.
- Stir through the spinach and coriander and allow to wilt in the sauce, before adding the lime juice.
- Serve with wholegrain brown rice or brown rice noodles, and a handful of chopped chilli on top – delicious!