Butternut squash and chickpea burgers
- 500g butternut squash
- 400g chickpeas, drained
- Bunch spring onions, sliced finely
- Tsp coriander seeds
- Tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- Tsp tamari
- 50g mixed seeds, such as sunflower, pumpkin and sesame
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and de-seed the butternut squash, then cut into 2cm chunks and cook in boiling water until soft, but not mushy.
- Tip the cooked squash into a large bowl, drain really well, mash, and leave to cool completely.
- Tip the drained chickpeas into another bowl and mash quite coarsely, then add to the cold squash with the sliced spring onions.
- Grind the spices in a pestle and mortar, then add the tamari before adding to the squash mixture and stirring well to incorporate everything.
- Put the seeds onto a plate. Divide the squash mixture into 8 balls, then form into mini burgers, and press into the seeds on the top and bottom.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil before frying the burgers for about 10 minutes, turning a few times, until golden brown on both sides.
- These are amazing served with a dollop of hummus, or to accompany any of your favourite salad recipes, and work really well in mini burger buns too!