Roasted carrot, spinach and mixed bean salad, serves 4
- 8 carrots
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach
- 200g beansprouts
- 1 large orange, or 2 smaller ones
- 15g fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 400g tin drained cannellini beans
- 400g tin drained chickpeas
- 2 avocados
- Peel and quarter the carrots, then add to a roasting tray with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a preheated oven at 200c for about 30 minutes.
- Peel and grate the garlic, and once the carrots are done, stir the garlic, cumin, coriander seeds and nuts through them, and put back into the oven for a few minutes until the pine nuts are golden.
- Drain and rinse the beans and chickpeas and add to the spiced carrot mixture.
- To make the dressing, peel the orange and add the flesh to a food processor with half of the mint leaves, 4 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and blitz until smooth.
- Place the baby spinach and beansprouts into a large bowl, add the carrot and bean mixture and dressing and stir to mix everything together.
- Slice the avocado on top of the salad and scatter with the remaining mint leaves to serve. Summer on a plate!
The roasted carrots with spices and pine nuts, and below, the finished salad.