Nut Roast, serves 6, as featured in my blog post, The BEST nut roast!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek halved lengthways, then sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 150g cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
- 50g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 400g tin cannellini beans (240g beans)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and add the sliced leek, grated carrot and chopped garlic. Cook over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until everything is soft and fragrant.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the nuts, cannellini beans, and thyme. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs, and mix thoroughly until everything is well coated.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper or foil, and grease well. Tip the nut mixture into the loaf tin, and press it down well and smooth out the top.
- Bake for around 1 hour, until the nut loaf is firm and golden brown.
- Serve with all your Sunday lunch favourites – root vegetable mash, roast potatoes, green beans, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy!