Sweet potato, aubergine and spinach stew, serves 4,
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Teaspoon of ground ginger
- 2 large aubergines
- 250g roasted sweet potato chunks
- 600ml reduced fat coconut milk
- 400g chickpeas
- 100g spinach
- Tablespoon of tamari
- Zest and juice of a lime
- Red chilli
- Wholegrain rice or quinoa to serve
- Chop the red onion and garlic and add to a large saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook gently over a medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes until the onion is translucent, then add the ginger and cook for another minute.
- Chop the aubergines in half and then into half circle discs, about 1/4” thick and add to the onion mixture in the pan along with the already roasted sweet potato chunks.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir well before adding the chickpeas. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 mins until the sauce is thick and delicious.
- Add in the spinach leaves and tamari and cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Grate in the lime zest and squeeze in the juice, and you are ready to serve on top of rice or quinoa.
- Sprinkle liberally with freshly chopped chilli and dive in!
As featured in my blog post, Sweet potato challenge