Turmeric, quinoa and sweet potato risotto, serves 4
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1.5 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons bouillon powder
- 325g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 350g roasted sweet potato chunks (this is about 500-600g of raw sweet potato, roasted in the oven in olive oil for approx. 35 mins)
- 400g cooked quinoa (this is about 200g uncooked quinoa, made up as per packet instructions)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of a lemon
- Add the diced onion, sliced garlic, turmeric and fennel seeds to a large saucepan with the sunflower oil, and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Next add 500ml of water and the bouillon powder, and bring up to a simmer before adding the halved tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and let the tomatoes cook in the stock until they begin to break down – about 4 minutes, before adding the chunks of cooked sweet potato. Use a masher to break down the tomatoes and potato chunks into the stock.
- Next add in the cooked quinoa with another 125ml of water and stir through until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and nutritional yeast, and its ready to serve!
- I love this served with stir fried tofu chunks, or it works well with a garlicky chicken breast or a chunky salmon fillet too.